I've been trying to "go green", whatever that means. I feel like it's an outdated term - maybe live sustainably?
It really can mean a number of things, but fundamentally I try to be a steward of the environment rather than an enemy of it.
It means I'm trying to reduce my affect on the earth, reduce my carbon footprint, reduce my waste.
Some ways I've been moving forward with this concept:
Basically, it means being efficient with waste and power usage. Eliminate as much fossil fuel usage as possible. #stopburningstuff
- I have a 17 kW solar panel system on my house that supports most of my annual usage
- I drive electric cars and ride an electric motorcycle (primarily)
- I have an electric lawn mower and all electric lawn equipment
- I no longer own ANY gasoline engines
- I have heat pumps that heat and cool my house
- I have a portable electric heater to use in my garage when needed, no more propane
- I've automated my house, with automatic schedules and routines to make sure things are shut off when not needed
- I have installed "electric logs" in my fireplaces, no longer burn wood or propane
- I try to recycle as much as possible
- I use power efficiently, with efficient appliances and 100% LED lighting
- I have improved the efficiency of my house with good windows & doors, improved insulation, a heat pump, and efficient appliances
- I use electric lighters instead of butane lighters for candles
Some things I can still do better:
- Get rid of backup oil burner, replace with electric or geothermal
- Have less stuff / buy less stuff
- Keep things longer, repair rather than replace